Understanding Comics

Understanding Comics://Comics


Simply to say what I felt after reading this book was that I want to introduce this comic to my friends if they are interested in comics or even they aren't, still. This book will be a lot of surprise for us in thoughts of comics and understanding the elements of comics.

The book starts with the introduction of the concepts on comics and to describe it with words. I was not interested at the first page, to be honest, I just simply thought this will be a boring dictionary or educational comics which have lots of words that do not help at all. And then I was little more interested when he tried to show some more concepts and put a few gags to get our interests(I suppose it was a gag?) What really caught my attention was after that. He told about the fact we read symbolic or iconic simple pictures as the exact things what they describe. 'The fact that your mind is capable of taking a circle, two dots, and a line and turning them into a face is nothing short of incredible!', he said.  I have never thought this kind of things before. What he said about cartooning is not just a way of drawing, it’s a way of seeing, was really impressive.

Why do we think a simple figures such as dots as an eye and a line as a mouth? Why do we feel more sympathetic with simple cartoonic characters but not realistically drawn the characters? His answer was that humans are a very self-centered animal and they saw themselves from cartoons, unlikely with the real 'another' character. It's a quite off topic, but I suddenly felt bad when I read this because it reminds me of the fact that people had used the cartoon as a political method during wars. It is unavoidable but still.

Overall the chapter was very useful and full of surprise that I have never thought of.


And for the final, I am adding up this image. Because this really shows a common sense of comic that cartoonists or a fan of cartoon thinks, but at the same time it what they forgot a lot. The comic is a combination of drawing and words. In form of comics, it is much helpful to both artists and writers to show a detailed story to the audience. If any of them are not shown on the page, we will be misguided with the story and couldn't understand them at all. It is sure the comic is a special way to present a story.




댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

(One who is not popular with drawing but popular in comics and his name sounds like Topherd?)

The Arrival by Shaun Tan

Une Semaine de Bonte